Recently I have started using Outlooks Categories to organize my emails. It has made like much easier, I set a category on the received email, move it to the archive. I have created custom search folders that look for that category. That way no matter where the email is it always shows up in the search results. Except for outgoing emails. I have to go into the Sent folder and set the category. So, I set out to figure out if I could set the category before I send the mail, thus saving me a step.
I found the following information on SuperUser.com in the thread In Outlook 2010, can you add “Categories” to the “New Email” Ribbon?
Create a Macro, because believe it or not Outlook doesn’t not have the Category button available when you try to customize the ribbon.
- Open the Visual Basic Window (ALT + F11)
- Add a Module (Right-click “Modules” folder –> Insert –> Module
- Copy the following code into the module
Public Sub CategoriesButton()
Dim Item As Outlook.MailItem
Set Item = Application.ActiveInspector.CurrentItem
- Close the editor
Now to add the macro to the menu
- Click the “New E-Mail” button
- Right Click –> Customize Ribbon –> Drop Down –> Macros –> Select “Project 1.CategoriesButton and add to a new group.
- Rename the group, and Menu item and add Icons if you wish
Thanks QBIK for posting this for all to enjoy. I am posting to make it easier for me to find this in the future. Thanks again QBIK.